Search for:

Board index  »  Questions, help, problems... all about Wikiloc  »  behavior of links to 'private' tracks

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 03:44 Reply with quote Report this post
In the past, I have created 'public' tracks, used the share/inframe link feature to embed as a link on my website, then re-set the track to 'private' so that it does not appear in searches on the Wikiloc site. This has worked fine. I often use it to document a hike on an unofficial route with cross country portions, especially if I have also uploaded a 'public' track for the same area that follows the official trail that I would prefer to share with the wider world.

Recently, these links to embed private trails result in a 'Page not found' error message, a change in the behavior, UNLESS I am signed onto Wikiloc in the same browser session. Is this new behavior intentional? I would like to be able to share 'private' tracks semi-privately, i.e., link to them in an e-mail or website.

Thanks!

Trails from NevadaRambler
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 18:02 Reply with quote Report this post
You're right. A few weeks ago we did a change to ensure that when an author sets a trail as 'private' it can only be seen by him/her and even a direct link would return a 'page not found' for anyone but the author (in the past the direct link did reach the private trail page).

We've discussed the issue internally after your post and we agree with you that the former option was more useful since it effectively concealed the trail from wikiloc searches but the author could email the link if she wish or even embed the trail on a private forum.

We're going to change it back to the former behavior in the next few days.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jordi

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 19:19 Reply with quote Report this post
That's great! Thanks!

Some photo sites have three options: public, "anyone with link", and private. But usually the "anyone with link" link has an extra authorization code, which just seems like more trouble that it's worth.

Kent

Trails from NevadaRambler
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 08:41 Reply with quote Report this post
OK We've pushed the changes online and the trail page should be directly accessible to 'anyone with the link'.

Jordi

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 11:39 Reply with quote Report this post
Sorry to "reopen" an old topic like this (I'm sure this has been discussed in some other topic, but I think this is the best place to write)...

I'm trying to include one of my trails in a personal website I'm currently working on, and I found out that I can see the trail (private) only if I open the page in the same browser where I'm currently logged in.

Is there a way to "bypass" this behavior or the only thing to do is that I set my trails as public?

(I also noted that statistics are based only on public trails, even if I'm logged in, but this is another topic)

Many thanks,
Marco

Trails from marcoverga86
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 12:07 Reply with quote Report this post
Hello,
previously the trails were accessible by link even if they were private but we received complains and now only public trails are accessible.
Regards.

Trails from jeprubio
PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 19:36 Reply with quote Report this post
Why not make a third option? Private which is only accessible with a link?

Trails from Vayun
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 08:33 Reply with quote Report this post
Hello,
yes, but there are some changes that must be done before to add this third option, it's in ours to-do list.
Regards.

Trails from jeprubio
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 00:09 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi!

It's been a while since your last reply and sharing the link of a private track still doesn't work. Is there any other way to share a private track?

Thanks!

Trails from falcalde
PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 21:01 Reply with quote Report this post
I'd also love to see the option to be able to share only with link as a third option.

Trails from lizardrazil