Search for:

Board index  »  Wikiloc for iPhone, Android, and mobile phones in general  »  Clumsy interface after update

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 00:14 Reply with quote Report this post
I have been using Wikiloc very satisfactorily for a few years now on my iPad Mini and my LG G5.

Based on my experience I regret to have to say that I am disappointed about the the latest update to version 3. I think that the graphic interface is rather clumsy and makes poor use of the limited screen area available on small tablets and smartphones by obstructing precious map area with opaque buttons, banners, and bars.

I would like to urge the developers of Wikiloc to make older versions (version 2) available for download and installation through Google Play and App Store.

Trails from Baldur J. B.
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 15:14 Reply with quote Report this post
Yes, you are right! Very complicated to find your offline maps and after finding the map is partially visseble. Please gif me the old version!!

Trails from Genhfransen
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 16:45 Reply with quote Report this post
I agree with Baldur. Also I miss the sound when one get off and on track.

Trails from johannar@hi.is
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 19:07 Reply with quote Report this post
johannar@hi.is wrote:
I agree with Baldur. Also I miss the sound when one get off and on track.

The sound should still work. In fact, we've improved the on/off track detection to handle complex trail shapes. Which smartphone do you have?

Trails from kaixi
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 13:09 Reply with quote Report this post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I was using the updated version last Sunday and there was no bling (sound) and I could not find it in wikiloc settings.

Trails from johannar@hi.is
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 20:43 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. The notification sounds are tied to the Alarm volume in the new version which is not the default Media volume. Please make sure to check your sound settings!

Trails from kaixi
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 03:08 Reply with quote Report this post
Totally agree! I have been paying for wikiloc for some years and was loving it.
This is the worst update ever. I use iphone 5s and its been a nighmare to download, switch maps and search for tracks in distant places with keywords. The view mode with pictures takes a lot of space and makes the scrolling long.
Developers, please go back to old version, i dont want to renew my plan with this update.

Trails from leo rizzo
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 01:18 Reply with quote Report this post
Well here's the answer from Wikilok:
"With the major release of the Wikiloc App design, the feature to share file access with iTunes of the maps was removed for simplicity, as this functionality was not very used. With actual internet connections and devices, it's faster to remove the offline map and re-download it again when necessary."
So there you have it! All those downloaded maps of Europe to choose as I wish now useless on my Mac!! BTW I agree with the general comments posted about the apps clumsiness (who would have thought to find downloaded maps under "Settings"). Also why would you want to look at pics you took of a place while scrolling down trail list - which takes ages due to the large size of the trail panels. Pleeeeeese let me have my old Wikiloc back....

Trails from seneca2
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 22:01 Reply with quote Report this post
@leo:
Improving the accuracy and relevancy of the search results is one of our top priorities for 2018. Thanks for voicing your concern.

@seneca2:
I read your email even though it was a colleague that wrote back to you. I understand your use case and it's really a shame, but just like Apple removed the USB ports from their new macs, every major new version comes inevitably with design and technical tradeoffs.

The new version of the app was tested by thousands of users before release and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Most users thought the new version was an improvement over the old one. That said, I completely see where you're coming from and I'm sorry to hear the new app made things worse for you.

Trails from kaixi
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 22:11 Reply with quote Report this post
The Clumsy interface can be greatly improved with one quick change...

Remove the large wikiloc logo. It serves no useful purpose (I'm in the app, I already know it is wikiloc), and it takes up 20% of the precious screen space.

This one quick change will be a significant improvement.

Then we can get into auto-hiding toolbars.

Trails from degner